Monday, October 4, 2010

8 Artists from Art 21

William Kentridge's work reminded me of Ilana Yahav and her Sand Painting. it is fascinating what you can do by observing different things and then trying to "repeat" them by means of props and various materials just to get the feel of reality. Well, see for yourself and tell me if it is not just fantastic.



Cao Fei - Avatars

I came across Second Life about a year ago during some CLiC training at the Library. Craig Wheeler was really into it and he said you could do pretty much anything while in virtual reality. I have heard of attorneys opening their law offices in Second Life and charging money for professional advice. Darn!

Cao Fei talks about avatars and again, she mentions that people tend to be different while being in disguise of an avatar - they are often rude, cruel and careless and that kind of behavior is easily observed in Second life. The clip reminded me a bit of a scene from Gamer, an absolutely horrible movie which still got me thinking on our future. I mean, people hiding behind beautiful avatars while being trapped and sad entities who don't even realize what is real and what is not. Sigh.

Kerry James Marshall: Being an Artist

This clip reminded me of my own movie made exactly a year ago which was trying to answer the question who was an artist and how photography may be understood. Well, I think that artists often use different features to either hide their personalities or overexpose them. I am not sure what I think about using race to convince people that what I am doing is different because of it, but as they say - whatever works!

Below is my home-made movie from one of my exhibits in Dallas from last October.



Racial conflicts are pretty new to me since we don't really have it in Poland. I take people as they are and I think everyone is important and everyone deserves a chance. Therefore, I really enjoyed the conversation between Carrie Mae Weems and David Alan Grier who talked about race, current events that moved history forward ( like the elections of Obama) and black art as it changes and develops nowadays. Grier said one thing that I absolutely understood - he said that for an artist it is important to break away from what you are normally associated with and do something new. That is what I want for myself and true - it would be nice to have some work that is easy to recognize, but at the same time, it is somewhat scary to be dumped in a shelf and thought of as a one-way-street-artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment