Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Visions of Light

I think this movie is a must-see for everyone who is interested in any form of art. I am a big fan of Vittorio Storaro's cinematography in Bertolucci's movies and I certainly recommend The Conformist and The Last Emperor. My favorite scene from the first motion picture is the last scene of stabbing which happens in the forest. I was really impressed with the light among the trees and with the overall use of natural light in the movie. Bertolucci plays with shadows, modulated light, he uses different forms while framing his subjects and appeals to our imagination, so that after seeing a visual cue we are able to tell ourselves the rest.

Roman Polanski mentioned in the documentary really creeps me out due to his recent legal problems and weird aura around him. I enjoyed Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby though, and The Fearless Vampire Killers is one of my old time favs.

The documentary we watched today also included movies like: Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane, The Killers, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet (both by David Lynch), Apocalypse Now, Picnic, Graduate, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Blade Runner, Grapes of Wrath and some other spectacular motion pictures which I don't remember anymore because I am so tired now that I am about to pass out on my keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment