Monday, September 6, 2010

Looking into my future

I enjoy thinking about the future because it is so unpredictable, shaky, and moody. In the next five years I would like to continue traveling for sure. I love visiting different places. I also love taking pictures, although recently my camera equipment became pretty heavy and it hurts my back.

As a professional, I would like to work with foreign students, helping them with learning the language and adjusting to the American culture. As a photographer I would like to establish myself. I think everyone has pretty similar goals - what we want is money, recognition, fame, our own gallery, our first show, etc. I think that what I want the most is to enjoy working with my camera as much as I do now. This class is my first conscious attempt to become more knowledgeable about the equipment and software and it feels great. It is a gift to be around other people who share same passion and who are full of ideas. I can't wait to learn more from all of you.

I don't have the exact plan of action when it comes to the subject of our studio work. What I do know is that I have many interests that I would like to pursue. Couple of months ago I bought a costume of Frank the rabbit from a cult film by Richard Kelly, "Donnie Darko." If you haven't seen it yet, I strongly encourage you to do so. My idea for the final project is to use Frank and his unique character and photograph him in unusual places in Dallas and Commerce. I have already started working on it, but I bet I can do better after the training I am hoping to receive in our class. If you have any tips or places where you think Frank would fit, just let me know. Many people talked about abandoned houses and I think I would like to visit some of them with Frank.

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about here, see the trailer for Kelly's 2001 movie. 2004 is for the Director's cut. I think that after watching it you should get my point.



So far, I tried to use the light and the symmetry to convey the atmosphere of the film. If you have any suggestions for my future work/set locations/technique, I would really appreciate it. The more bizarre location, the better.


Over the weekend I've been thinking about the objects I could bring to the studio and I think that my favorite subjects are:

- Geeky toys (Newton Balls, plasma lamp, robots, pin toys, etc.) - I think that those items carry certain sentiment but often we are ashamed of keeping them around. The same would not apply to the pictures of these toys and you can certainly play around with them to get some interesting effects.

- Keys - There is something really fascinating about the keys and where we leave them. I may be onto something here.

- People - Phillip Toledano would be my inspiration here - his foto essay "Days with my Father" imprinted itself in my heart a year ago and I think that this is something I would like to try working on. I want to work with people in studio environment just to see how different it may be from the "snapped pictures."

Again, I am not sure if any of my ideas would work as a final project, but I am going to try and make it work.

Photographs usually tell us some stories. We look at them and we can bring back all kinds of memories from the past. It would be great to go to, let's say, Alaska and spend a month there only taking pictures. I think I won't be good at living in a bus like the guy from "Into the Wild," but I think you need to give yourself at least a month there just to be able to shoot some good photographs. Pictures below come from my recent trip to Alaska (Juneao and Sitka). Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment